tisdag 2 juni 2009

Surfing, blue toe and a fast lap

Surfing is fun. Even, or maybe especially, for someone from the far north where skiing is more common. But taking the waves are not so easy. Happy just to get up, it is very easy to be just slightly too much in front of the board, with the result that the forward end of the board gets stuck in the water. The result: spectacular falls and hitting the seabottom hard. 

It is sort of fun, believe me, tumbling around in the wave, not knowing what is up and down. Arms above my head to avoid getting hit by the board, then finally finding the surface when the wave have passed. The whole head full of water, a big smile on my face. Fantastic!

When I surf, or try to surf, I spend more time below the surface than above. Eating sand. This time, a rock decided to hit me on my toe, quite hard as well. Nasty rock. My toe decided to go blue, and I had to cancel the long run on Sunday. I could move the toe, so it was not broken. I decided to test it today, Monday, just to see if it works.

Decent pace from work to the park, 2.5 km like warming up. Then a fast lap, around 4 km in 4:16 min/km pace. Felt the toe, but it worked. Jogging down home, 3 km, a little less than 10 km today. But a good test. Now cooling down the toe. It is still blue, but hopefully ok in a few days. 

Last three weeks have been a bit difficult from a preparation point of view. A lot of travelling have made for difficulties keeping the continuity: 
Guatemala-Panama-Sweden-Panama-Costa Rica-Panama-Honduras-El Salvador-Panama-Guatemala-Panama in 3 1/2 weeks. A bit difficult, and the last week have been pretty bad. The week before better, 70 km, which is a normal weekly running-diet.

Now I am looking forward to get started- I am curious about the last 20 km. I have run only 50 km in a race before, and the last 20 k will be an exploration of the unknown for me, to see how I react, how my mind works. Of that, I am curious.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar