söndag 26 april 2009

Rent a cop..?



29.8 km, 3 h 8 min 32 sec, Nice pace with great company.

The week started bad from a training plan point of view. Off to Kingston Jamaica on Monday morning. Kingston Jamaica, a could be 2 hour flight with Copa. But since Copa do not fly on Mondays, I had no other choice to chose the airline company that have set a new standard to being delayed, never apologise and overall treating their customers like dirt- American Airlines.

Except for trying to cross Avenida Balboa in Panama City by foot, probably the safest way to get killed is to show your white face in down town Kingston. This means that running in Kingston, for me, is limited to a small park with a 500 meter running track.

Because of the safety, the running track is more croweded than Calle 50 the day after salary payout, which means good training of reaction, creativity and side stepping. It was a bit entertaining looking at this rasta-dude, running in a good 4:30 min/km pace in jeans, dreadlocks and cool sunglasses.

A few km on Tuesday morning, some more Wednesday morning and a bit more normal at the end of the week.

On Sunday morning, I met up with a bunch of very nice runners from the local club. 6 am and a nice 21 km run was their plan, and I teamed up with a very nice guy at 5 am to get closer to 30 k in total.

Running on the road, with jungle on both sides is fantastic! Howler monkeys to the left screaming, Tucans flying pass, and when I crossed the bridge back from Gamboa, there was a huge splash 100 meters to the left- crocodile..?

During the run, we did some planning for my ocean to ocean run. One thing that I have not thought much about is security. The first part of the run will go through some neighborhoods that are bit more rough. They are probably ok, but I do not really blend in- 187 cm tall and white as snow!

The answer: rent a cop!
"Eeh, like, paying him under the table..?"
"No no, it is perfectly legal. You can rent a guy with a motorcycle, or a patrol car.."

Actually, it is a splendid idea! Less risk for being hit by some crazy driver, and more safe for my wife driving the car along me with the food, drink and other support I will need.

I wonder if you could rent-a-cop for other tasks as well...?

2 kommentarer:

  1. With enough money you could probably rent a cop to do anything for you. You just have to find the right one. :)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Well, you are probably right. But it will be interesting to see how it works, how you pay. I will for sure save the receit and put it on the wall :-)

    SvaraRadera