tisdag 16 februari 2010

Curro Ergo Sum

What do we really know?

What is knowledge anyway..?

And more importantly. What the heck has it to do with running? And why write about it here???

Running is a good moment for thinking. Especially the long runs. With the bad knee, and alternative training, I have contemplated why running is so important to me. The running itself. Why?

How do I know that I am sitting here, writing on my blog? How can I be sure I am just not dreaming? A fundamental philosophical question, which is actually quite profound. The modern version is of course the movie "Matrix". A pretty cool movie by the way.
But seriously, how can I be sure..? And how can I be sure, that everything around me actually exist outside my own body?

If you take this to its bizarre limit, the true skepticism, I can actually only be certain of one thing: that I exist in this moment. I can not be sure I existed 5 minutes ago, but I can be sure I exist now. This is where Descarte said "cogito ergo sum", which translates a bit sloppy to "I think therefore I am". Great! At least something to be sure of..

Then of course, you can ask yourself: does it matter?

But if we know that we exist- what is then knowledge? What is knowing? Fundamentally?

According to some philosophers (or most, what do I know), for something to count as knowledge, we need to have a justifiable belief that is also true.

Belief. We have to believe it. Yes, I believe I exist. Most of the time.

Justifiable. Hmm. Well, cogit ergo sum. From my own perspective, I kind of think that there are a fair amount of "evidence" that I actually exist. I mean. The completely bizarre IT- and HR-support in Sweden, I would never have thought something like that out. So there must be something outside me that exist, hence I exist. But then again. Its a matter of definition if our IT-support actually can be defined as "existing". Damn, this was more difficult than I thought.

True. This is a really tricky part. How can say it is true. Cogito ergo sum, again (yeah yeah, maybe I am mixing things up, but I am a runner, not a philosopher..).

But.

When I run. When I feel my muscles, the breath. The pain. Can I be anything else but alive? How could I be non-existing, and feel so much?

And could that be it..?

Could that be a reason for running, or even the reason? To exist? To be, for a few moments (or hours if you are in the slightly bizarre ultrarunning-business) be certain of your own existence.

Curro ergo sum. I run, therfore I am?

4 kommentarer:

  1. Hi
    Nice thoughts, this is the kind of thinking I also have when the distance is over 20 km...

    But I dont care, I probebly be running in The Matrix too..:-)

    I too have this "mantra " when I feel down.
    - I run , therfore I am.. (like this a lot)
    or is it the opposite way??
    -I am therfore I run??

    Ha det....Fryk

    SvaraRadera
  2. Its not easy to understand what is a pre-requisite for what..:-). Maybe running IS being..?
    Then again, as you say, does it matter? Like the guy in "Matrix" that chose to go back to the virtual world, even if he knows its not for real. Of course, he is not free then. But.. What is freedom worth? And.. what is freedom..?

    Time go stop thinking for a while, and go running.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Saludos desde Panama.
    Demasiada filosofia, indica que "tienes que salir a correr"!.

    El 31/ene finalmente corri mi 1era maraton!
    Ahora vamos a ver si me emociono para los 42k del El Valle. We miss you SUECO DEMENTE

    Pochi

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hola Pochi, amigo! Good to hear from you! Congratulations on your first marathon!

    Well, when it comes to philosophy- isnt that what its all about? In one way or another. Sometimes its better to just go running, as you say.
    But problems with my knee prevents me right now, have to be careful. For a change.

    When I can not run, that is when I start thinking about it. Why does it mean so much to me, how can that be? Es siempre como es. You take things for granted, its so easy. When they are not there, there is space for thoughts.

    SvaraRadera