måndag 8 februari 2010

Heart, reason and a bad knee..

Body and soul. Heart and reason. There is always a balance, or should be.

The first month in Sweden have been tough, tougher than I thought. Salsa have helped me, or us, to keep the balance, first in my ears, then the course we started.
And Alberto! Our wonderful salsa-teacher! Every second sentence en español, laughing and joking.

And the running of course, the core of my being. Well, an important part. That especially clear when I can not run. On my run home on Friday, I jumped to what I thought was solid ground.

It was not.

10 cm of icefilled water, and ice on the bottom. Managed to keep my balance, but hurt my left ankle bad, and it did nothing to improve my right knee. On Saturday morning, I could hardly walk. It was a balance of sorts, since I could barely walk on my left foot because of the ankle, and barely on my right thanks to my knee.

Balance.

Went swimming with Ida on Sunday. For the first time ever, I managed to swim 8x25 meters! Ok, I have some way to go before I will make the Ironman, but I dont care. If I can swim 25 meters now, I can do the Ironman.. I dont know... next year? The only two Ironman I know about, is the one in Hawai and the one in Kalmar.. I have to think hard about which to choose...

So. Balance between heart and reason. Reason tells me to rest. Heart tells me to go running. I am not the most balanced person on earth, but this time I will let reason win. For this time.. And for a while. Swimming is ok, but nothing, absolutely nothing beats the slow, steady, soothing rythm of long distance running. Or the adrenalin-filled flying through the air, beeing the antilope, short distance race. Nothing. Its all heart.

There is no reason, or sense, to run really long runs. Or to push the muscles and will to the limit on a heart-pounding 5k race. No reason at all. But heart. All heart!

But. As Blaise Pascal put it. Heart has its own reason (free translation)!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hopefully resting will mean more running in the long run! :) and regarding ironman, go for it!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks, Miranda. Patience, patience, patience.. Today I managed 9x25 meters. Without drowning.. :-).
    But I want to ruuuuuuun!!!

    SvaraRadera