måndag 2 november 2009

El Valle Trail Marathon- a tough and very well organized challenge

Not the best way to prepare for the race perhaps- business trip to Jamaica, coming back on Friday night. Pretty amazing that they sell grinders for marijuana on the taxfree in Montego Bay... (no, I didnt buy one..)

To El Palmar on Saturday, so John could rule the waves with his new board. After a day at the beach, we decided to split up. Since the start of the race was 6 am in El Valle, I decided to stay in El Valle for the night, whereas Ida, John and Noomi stayed in Bay View at El Palmar, so John could surf Sunday morning. Afte dinner, I took off for El Valle, about 45 minutes drive. Up to the main road there was a car in front of me going 20 km/h, and not very straight.. Probably stone drunk, and with the bad combination of:

-Pepole just go their salaries
-Holidays next week
-Saturday night

I was not very surprised. Up to the main road, Panamerican Highway, and the car went for a left turn. "Please dont crash". He actually made it across, and firmly put the car between the two lanes. In the other direction, there were three cars coming. Side by side. On a two-lane road. Almost artistic drunk-driving. I realized, that you should not drive a car in Panama, Saturday night after salary. Unless you want a true adrenaline filled adventure..

Up to El Valle, safe and sound, and to the wonderful B&B Park Eden. Got my startnumber from Margaret, who stayed at the "official" race hotel Anton Valley. To bed early. Park Eden is on the edge of the town, which was good. I woke up a few times by partying panamenians who tend to like reggeaton on very high volume, in their cars passing by. If I would have stayed in the center of the town, sleep would have been a hopeless task..

Up at 4.20, and then off to the start area at 5.15. It was great to meet many of my running friends at the start, chatting, talking.

I realized that this was a very well organized race. In this first year, they had managed something that took the international marathon in Panama City 33 years to do - have toilets at the start of the race. And to have them there before the race started..

"How do we find the way?". "We have put up stripes, 1 meter long, yellow, wherever there is a risk for confusion about the way..". That put me into my sceptic-mood. Yeah, right. But actually, the trails and roads were very well marked, there was little risk for confusion about the way. Even so, one or two missed the way and had to back-track. Something you dont really want on a 42 km race. The marking was good, but when you are tired, the sun is cooking and you have to concentrate on the uneven ground. Well, guess it is easy to run the wrong way.

6.15 and the race is afoot. 75 people, which was the limit for the race. Some running the full marathon, some the half marathon. Start, and some people are running like crazy! Wow, I dont know what they are thinking of. I start with a steady 5.00 min/km the first km through the village. I have absolutely no idea how to plan the race. How can I plan an uphill of 13 km?

After 2 km, the first test comes. A very steep slope with 200 meters height difference in 1 km. More or less impossible to run, everyone walking.

The next 10 km is very nice, fantastic views and downhill. Sometimes too much downhill on the 4x4 road, and a lot of loose stones. But in most places, easy to run. Already after 3-4 km, the runners are spread out, and I can see maybe one or two runners.

The first 10 km goes in around 58 minutes, which is pretty fast considering the slope at the beginning. I know there are around 10-15 runners ahead of me, but I dont know how many of those that are running the full marathon. Both races follow the same trail, but the marathon take an extra sidetrack after 15 km, going right and downhill for a little more than 10 km. Then backtrack uphill the same 10 km...

The views are beautiful, and the Pacific Ocean can be seen in the horizon. The gravel road is finding its way along the hills, and the run is really nice here. I exchange a few words with a fellow runner before I see him race ahead.

Every 5 km, there is a waterstation (water and gatorade) where I also fill up my two bottles. On some of those remote places- well, it must have been really tricky to get the water there. I am so impressed with the logistics around this race, and the volunteers!

Passing the school of Palo Alto after 12 km and a little more uphill now. At 15 km, the so called Cool Zone is set up. An aidstation with water, bananas, gel and more. And so many happy faces. I got soooo much energy here, from all these volunteers. Thanks a million, you were the true sunshine this day!!!

At the Cool Zone, the marathonistas took a right, downhill towards Interamerican Highway. I could see one guy in front of me, and after 1 km he slowed pace to let me catch him for a few km of small talk. Well, not so much talking at this point, merely a few words here and there. Someone might call it grumpy.. In any case, we were still smiling :-). "How many runners before us?". "Only one I think, Fernando Revuelta". Wow! "Lets kick his ass" I said with a smile. Well, in running, no one kicks his ass. He is as good as it gets, and a very nice guy. I was glad that he was in the front, he have really worked for it!



My somewhat longer legs gave me an advantage here, and I put a few hundred meters between me and my new friend.


Down towards the turning point, and checking my GPS. Counting down, and curious to see when I would meet Fernando on his way up. How much in front of me would he be? Is there a slight chance to catch him..?

Legs are starting to feel a bit heavy, and getting down to almost sea level, with the sun coming up, the temperature and humidity rise. I realize that I have to go back up the same way I am coming down. That will be a tough uphill...

Even though my toenails are well "cut", they hurt with every step downhill now. After almost 10 km downhill, and a constant pressure with feet that are probably one size larger now compared to at the start, the feet start to protest.

I meet Fernando, who looks fresh. Where does he get his energy from??? We exchange greetings and smiles, but I am too tired to get my mobile with camera up, and at the return point I realize that he is more than 15 minutes ahead. Probably too much, but anything can happen on the 13 km uphill after the turning point at 26 km.. Yeah, right...

After the turning point I of course also meet the "hunting pack" behind me. 350 meters behind is my new friend, and after 800 meters number 4. Quickly after that comes 3-4 runners, and I realize that it will be tough keeping my position. Going after Fernando will be a bit too much.

After a few km I meet Luis-Carlos, who looks fresh. Carlitos is just behind, and we stop for a minute to take photos.


This is the guy behind the race, and I can not even imagine how much work he must have put into it. Carlitos: be proud! You have made a fantastic event!!

Anyway, now the uphills start. This is the true test of this race. 13 km uphill! 600 meters in height difference! And it is getting really hot. Water every 5 km to fill up my two 650 ml bottles is no longer enough, and I stop for a minute half way up the slope at the water to fill up my two bottles and pour water on my head. It feels wonderful. For about 15 seconds...

Sometimes the clouds shadows the sun, and give some relief of that pressure. It is still pretty hot though, for someone that would probably do ice skating this time of year..

I struggle upwards, my left leg starting to cramp. And cramp badly. Left thigh is shaking, and I sort of stagger up for the steepest slopes. Head is boiling and I look every 30 seconds on my GPS and wonder why everything goes so slowly. Swearing in swedish, english, spanish. I am glad noone was there to hear it..

I meet runners every now and then, and I feel so sorry for them. But Iris and Liz are all smiles! Amazing. I must have looked terrible, and they just run along all smiling. Funny looks!

2 km left to the Cool Zone at 37 km, looking back. A runner several hundred meters behind me. Running. Me walking. Not good. I really want that second place, or at least a position among the three. Damn. Every uphill is just walking, but I try to move somewhat faster on the flatter parts.

1 km left to the Cool Zone, and no more water. Mouth is dry, but the cramping is not getting worse. Legs really hurts, and all the sharp stones feels like they go right through my shoes.

There! The wonderful white tent at the Cool Zone, and I am there! Civilization! Cold water! Friendly faces!

"What do you need?" I just spread my arms: "Todos...". Water, gel, banana. "You are second! Go for it!".

2 km more uphill, then downhill the last 4 km towards El Valle. "If I can keep the guy behind my up to when the downhill starts, I will make it", I think.

Struggling uphill, looking backward. Around 400 meters ahead of the third guy. But there I can see the top! Over the top, and trying to run a little faster now, to put some distance and also to be able to dissapear behind the bend before the third guy see me. If he can see me, he will get more strength. If not, hopefully he thinks that I am far ahead....

One more water-point, and I fill up my bottles for the last time. Down a steep, narrow trail towards El Valle. And then: the trail splits in two. With no marker!!! Noooooo. I dont want to get lost when only 3 km from goal, and second place in my bag! Left? Right? The tracks are equally big, I go for the left. Nervous? "Are there any fresh steps here?". "Should I go up again?". Continute downhill feeling terrible, and then I see the other track joining this track. Wow. It didnt matter which way up there, both tracks came together again!

Down in El Valle now, 2 km left, looking behind me. No one there. For several hundred meters. I continue running, even though I could probably walk. Far far far, meeting people.

Turning right, in between the trees and there: the goal! Arms in the air, so happy, so tired. Can hardly stand after finish line. Get help by friends to get water and something to eat. 2nd place!!! 4 hours and 51 minutes.

After a few official photos, back to the hotel for a shower, a quick lunch and then driving down to El Palmar to pick up the surf bums (rest of the family). Tired, but with a big smile on my face.

I even got to see my name in the paper today, the day after! http://mensual.prensa.com/mensual/contenido/2009/11/02/hoy/deportes/1982302.asp

Checking the watch afterwards, the first 10 km I did in 58 minutes, 1 hour 57 minutes after 20 km. Good start. At the turning point at 26 km, I was 2 hour 32 minutes. Then the uphill... Those 13 km of uphill took 1 hour and 45 minutes. Thats around 7.5 km/h, a little faster than walking. But not much. But thats how tough it was. Some kilometers, I did just over 5 km/h in average.

This was by far the best organized competition I have seen in Panama since I moved here a little less than two years ago. And this is the first time this race takes place!

Thank you, Carlitos, for this fantastic race!
Thank you to all volunteers that must have put a lot of hours and work into this, and keeping your smiles on your faces at each water point!
And thank you to the Cool Zone volunteers! You made my day! Again!!! You always show up as saving angels! Last time, it was the Panama City Marathon, now this!




6 kommentarer:

  1. Joakim.., this was a great performance from you. Congratulations. Really outstanding.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks, my friend! You did a fantastic performance yourself! No I am looking forward (I think..) to our crazy adventure in December! Fernando reminded me after the race. With a smile on his crazy face! :-)

    SvaraRadera
  3. Joakim ... crazy sweede ... fantastic job! You outran most everyone out there last sunday, and you deserve that uhhhh trophy! Sorry about that, but this race is all about the race and not about the prices.
    Hope you will find your way back to El Valle next year, no matter where you call home!

    SvaraRadera
  4. I am looking forward for the trophy, I think FER has it. But I am really just proud of being part of this first race, superwell organized!
    I have some ideas of how to come back next year, I have sent you an email about that.. :-)

    SvaraRadera
  5. Joakim congatulations!!!!! great great job!!!!
    Lizbeth

    SvaraRadera
  6. Thanks,Liz! Would love to hear more about your race too!

    SvaraRadera