fredag 25 juni 2010

Surprise on the bridge- and no more running for a while

Have had problems with my knees since February. The marathon was ok, but I could not prepare well for it. Also, it was not completely painless. At least not the last 30 kilometers. Time for rest, and I have decided to rest from running for one month and cancel all races this year. No Midnight Run, no relays at Bellmanstafetten, no Sörmland Ultramarathon.

Will stick to biking and swimming. Focus on bicycle, but it would be nice to be able to swim more than 25 meters without sounding like a steamtrain, so I will go swimming at least once a week.

Bike to work is pretty good. 18-19 km one way and a good 50 minute exercise, or slightly longer now when I am not that well trained. Slow through the central part with many redlights, but otherwise really good.

On my way back, I stopped at a red light just before the bridge Västerbron. Beside me was an overweight guy in bicycle tights on a racer. "Well, well, one of these guys that think they can go fast just because they have cool gear and clothes" I though. I mean, 10-15 years older and at least 20 kg more than me!

We started to talk, a very nice guy, when the light turned to green, we continued slowly up the bridge, chatting. "Where are you going?" "Ah, so you got a bit longer to go than me" etc etc.

Halfway up the bridge, I wanted to increase the speed. "Ok, I better get going" I said, and expected him to let me pass. Instead, he increased his speed and was soon flying towards the top of the bridge! "What the heck..".

Struggling to catch up I was sounding like a steam train. Centimeter for centimeter I managed to slowly close the gap. Saved by a red light at the other side of the bridge, I looked at his bike. And clothes. Old cloths, old bike, but gear that showed that this was no "wanna-be" bicyclist, but rather a "was-earlier-half-pro-and-still-kicking-ass" kind of bicyclist. He really kicked my ass at least! And oh was I laughing at myself! Who is the "wanna-be" bicyclist...? :-)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar